Saturday, July 16, 2011

Chicago recap - a "dog-free" post

Last weekend, I spent a few days in the suburbs of Chicago visiting my cousin, her husband, and my aunt and uncle. My cousin's husband is allergic to dogs so this post is going to be dog-free, just for him - sorry Tahoe and Ashley!

My gracious hosts!

My cousin had planned a few activities for us during our stay. (I say "our stay" because while I flew to Chicago via Atlanta, Babu drove to Chicago so I was able to catch up with him once I reached my cousin's house.) One of the activities was visiting The Morton Arboretum.  You know Morton Salt, with the salt canister that has the little girl with the umbrella on it? Well, Joy Morton, the founder of Morton Salt also founded The Morton Arboretum. The arboretum is quite impressive; it covers over 1,700 acres and has over 4,100 different species of trees, shrubs and other woody plants from around the globe.

While there, we took a tram ride around the grounds, walked through an outdoor maze, and visited the Children's Garden. It was a beautiful but hot day... temps reached up to over 90 degrees!

Lost in the maze

The Children's Garden

Not recommended for toddlers

The blooming flowers were beautiful

"Lichen it" - part of Nature Unframed outdoor art exhibit

Knowing that Babu and I are into hiking, my cousin had also planned a trip to Starved Rock and Matthiessen State Park.  We hiked up and down stairs and trails and boardwalks... we looked out over vistas of the Illinois River... and we explored caves and waterfalls.

Starved Rock

Looking down on the Illinois River

Waterfall at Matthiessen

It was great to have an opportunity to catch up and spend time with family. Special thanks to my cousin and her husband for hosting and taking care of me and Babu during our visit. Thanks also for putting up with the stinky gray shirt... T & D, you know what I'm talking about ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment