Sunday, May 6, 2012

And the Oscar Goes to...

I spent some time at Lorton Prison yesterday morning. No... I was not under arrest... I was actually a victim in Hurricane Victoria!

Ready for the hurricane!

Practicing my part - victim

Lorton Prison compound has been closed for several years. The buildings that remain on the site are used by the Fire Department and the Police Department for training. Yesterday, I was an "actor" in a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) disaster training exercise, conducted at Lorton Prison. My scenario: I was a victim in Hurricane Victoria and I hit my head on a cabinet and sprained an ankle. I am happy to report that I was rescued from my building by two responders and that I survived thanks to the care that I received. Unfortunately, a lady who was near me in the Medical area was not as lucky... after she was brought into the Medical area, the responders left her alone for at least 20 minutes! Sadly, she "died" by the time they got around to caring for her. She definitely deserves an Oscar for her performance.

Looking out of my cell, waiting to be rescued

CERT volunteers

After the training exercise, I decided to stop into Starbuck's for a cup of tea on the way home. I was still wearing my make-up from the disaster scenario. Funny thing, people seemed to get out of my way quickly but no one said a word to me except for the guy behind the counter - he liked my sweatshirt!

PS: Brian can now add CERT training certified to his resume. He successfully completed the training and final exercise.


No comments:

Post a Comment