Sunday, November 6, 2011

Weekend Recap

Running. Rowing. Walking... and sleeping in.

On Saturday morning, I met with my Team Challenge teammates in Arlington, VA for another training run. The plan was to run for 60 minutes. (Now, why couldn't that have been the plan last Saturday?) Our coaches started the practice with an overview on proper nutrition. With the race being a nighttime race, they recommended that we think about the meals that we will plan to eat throughout the day prior to the race start time.

The Coaches - Lisa, Mary, and JT - giving a nutrition overview

After the quick overview, we were sent off running. Our path took us on the Custis trail running towards Washington, DC. Since we were doing a shorter run, I decided to push my pace a little and I quickly found myself running alone in front of everyone else. The plan was to do an out and back (30 minutes out - turn around - and 30 minutes back). At 23 minutes in, I had reached the Key Bridge. I continued on for another 7 minutes and than decided to run an extra 5 minutes to get myself past the Memorial Bridge to a good turning point on the trail. (I later learned that our coaches had told us to turnaround at the Key Bridge - where the Custis Trail ends. Doh!) I ran for an hour and 10 minutes... I'm not quite sure what my total distance was but I felt pretty good, even on the uphills on the way back.

In the evening, Brian and I took Tahoe and Ashley our for their walk. Brian has started to let Ashley off the leash again which makes me really nervous - especially when I know that we have deer nearby in the woods. So far, so good though (I'm knocking on wood). Ashley hasn't wandered off too far or gotten herself into any trouble... not yet.

Tahoe AND Ashley walking off-leash

Today I participated in my final rowing race of the season - the Head of the Occoquan. I rowed in the Women's Club 4+ event where we came in 1st place and the Women's Club 8+ event where we came in 3rd place. I received medals for both races - not a bad way to end the season, right? While the end of the season means the end of racing, it also means the end of early morning practices. (I've been getting up a 4:30am, Monday-Friday since August. I can't wait to sleep in, even if it's only for an hour.)

No comments:

Post a Comment