Monday, December 5, 2011

The Grand Canyon State

Today I headed South. From Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, I traveled to the Black Canyon. What's at the Black Canyon? The Hoover Dam, of course!

A view from atop the Hoover Dam

As I was walking across the dam, I saw someone that looked familiar... 
Could it be... Babu? 

Could it be...?


Yes, it's Babu!

(Ok, Babu actually joined me in Las Vegas a few days ago. He drove up from Tucson to support me during the race weekend. I'll be spending the next week with him in Tucson.) 

The Hoover Dam and the Hoover Dam Bridge were both impressive engineering marvels. It was a clear beautiful day and you could see for miles.

After the Hoover Dam, we continued on to the Grand Canyon West Rim to visit Sky Walk.  Sky Walk is on the Hualapai Reservation. The Reservation is approximately 1,000,000 acres and includes 1/3rd of the Grand Canyon. It was pretty cold at Sky Walk. There was snow on the ground in parts of the canyon and a chilly wind blew constantly. The canyon backdrop was massive and thrilling! There were no barriers or fences to keep one from falling over the edge. Cameras were not allowed in Sky Walk but we had an opportunity to climb rocks and take lots of pictures at another nearby site, Guano Point.

The Grand Canyon

Sky Walk at Eagle Point

A Hualapai Tribesman at Guano Point

No comments:

Post a Comment