Saturday, August 4, 2012

Sweat Your Thorns Off 5K Recap

SYTO5K - Finish Time: 24:52
Lesson learned... Don't eat a spanish omelette before running a 5K.

Thanks to a Lifetime Fitness treadmill, I was able to avoid the scorching desert heat and run my 5K race indoors. This was the first 5K "race" that I've ever attempted on a treadmill. All in all, it went o.k. I started off with a 1.0 incline and kept increasing my pace every two minutes or so. Then, at mile 1.5, my breathing got heavy and my stomach started to churn. (After hiking the Linda Vista trail with Babu this morning, we went out to brunch where I ate a huge spanish omelette and easily downed three diet cokes. Surprisingly, the combination did not sit well in my stomach at race time.) It was also during this time that I noticed that the treadmills next to me had become occupied with people. I began sweating like a fountain and felt a bit self-conscious but, I pushed through the discomfort. The nice thing about the treadmill was the constant distraction that it provided. I could control the pace, watch the miles and calories go by, and watch my vertical distance increase - o.k., seriously, who needs to know that you've gone 90 vertical feet in 12 minutes?

Posing on the treadmill

Running, before the spanish omelette attack

No comments:

Post a Comment